Thanks to our friends from Outpost Natural Foods in Wisconsin for this tasty recipe!
Outpost has been serving up this chili every day for more than a decade. It’s party-ready and freezes great for an easy, ready-made meal. It’s simple, satisfying and a bean lovers’ delight relying on textured vegetable protein (TVP) for its meatiness. The TVP will plump up as it cooks.
In the month of October, we celebrate co-ops. Why? Because they are awesome! We feature recipes from co-ops around the country in our special Co-op Recipe Guide.
- 1 ½ tsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ cup green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 ½ cups kidney beans, cooked
- 1 ½ pounds tomatoes, diced
- 7 cups chili beans, cooked
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ Tbsp chili powder
- ¼ Tbsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- Heat canola oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and green pepper and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve.