Thank you to our friends at the Ashland Food Co-op in Ashland, Oregon for this tasty treat!
In the month of October, we celebrate co-ops. Why? Because they are awesome! We feature recipes from co-ops around the country in our special Recipe Guide. Coming soon!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ red onion diced
- 2 apples, diced (any variety will do-peeled or not peeled, your choice)
- 10 fresh large sage leaves, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or ½-tsp dried
- ¾ cup chicken stock OR water (more may be needed, it depends on the apples)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Heat butter, oil and onions in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, cover and continue to cook for 15 minutes or so, on low-medium heat, stirring often.
- You may need to add an additional ¼ cup of stock or water, depending on the variety of the apple. Serve leftovers cold or warmed with French toast and maple syrup in the morning.