Want a delicious salad that’s a fresh, flavor-filled home run?
Look no further than this beauty, chock full of tantalizing tastes and textures sure to make any meal a special event.
- 3 endive heads, sliced lengthwise and then crosswise in ½ inch slices
- 2-3 Tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2-3 Tbsp crumbled gorgonzola or other blue cheese
- 1 Bartlett, D’Anjou or Comice pear
- 3 Tbsp walnut oil
- 1 Tbsp sherry or balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/8 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, plus more to taste
- Combine 3 Tbsp vinegar and shallot, finely chopped. Let stand 15 minutes. Whisk in Dijon mustard, honey, 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper. While whisking mixture, slowly add ¼ cup walnut oil in a steady stream until thickened. Adjust salt/pepper as needed. Makes about ½ cup.
- Place chopped endive in a large bowl. Add walnuts, crumbled gorgonzola and chopped pears. Toss to combine.
- Drizzle dressing over salad, toss to combine. Season with salt pepper to taste and serve immediately.
- Note: You can also leave the Belgian endive as whole leaves, mix the other ingredients in a bowl with enough dressing to moisten, and spoon into leaves as an appetizer.