This is a wonderful sauce or gravy. The coffee brings a depth of flavor that some people mistake for beef stock in this vegan, nutrient-dense sauce that is also suitable for gluten-free diets.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 extra-large shallots, rough diced (about ¾ – 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, rough-chopped
- 1 cup chopped mixed mushrooms
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 ¼ cup black coffee (cold is ok)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. miso (or sub gluten-free liquid aminos)
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Saute the mushrooms, shallots, and garlic in a pan with the olive oil until fragrant and golden. Remove half of this mixture from the pan and save it for later.
- To the mixture still in the pan, add the walnuts and coffee, deglazing the pan and letting the coffee reduce a little bit.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Put the mushroom/garlic/shallot/walnut/coffee combination into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth with the remaining seasonings (miso or liquid aminos, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper).
- Once this is well-blended, add the reserved mushrooms, garlic, and onion from earlier in the cooking process back in and check and adjust the amount of salt and pepper.