A bit more depth of flavor and less sweet than your usual pumpkin pie. Use your favorite pie crust, or try Rose Levy Beranbaum’s The Pie and Pastry Bible’s cream cheese crust recipe. If you are avoiding wheat flour, check out our almond flour crust recipe below.
Note: the filling for the almond crust is different than for the flour crust.
Pumpkin Molasses Pie Filling
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ molasses (not blackstrap)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix sugar, flour, salt and spices together.
- In a mixing bowl, mix molasses, eggs and pumpkin on low speed, until just combined.
- Mix in dries, still on low. Stir in evaporated milk.
- Pour into unbaked pie crust of your choice. Bake 35-40 minutes, until jiggly in the center.
- Let cool to room temp before serving.
Almond Flour Crust Ingredients
- 2½ cups almond flour,
- ⅓ cup powdered erythritol
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup ghee, plus a little more to grease the pie pan, melted
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
Pumpkin Pie Filling For Almond Crust
- 1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup powdered erythritol
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. blackstrap molasses (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-inch pie pan well.
- In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, erythritol and salt.
- Add vanilla into melted ghee/refined coconut oil, and then add this and egg into dry ingredients. Mix until very well combined and dough texture is uniform.
- Press dough into bottom of pie pan. If crust crumbles when you try to flute the edges, just press it back together. Poke small holes in the crust with a fork.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. Cool crust for at least ten minutes before adding filling.
- Set the oven at 325 degrees.
- Combine all filling ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Pour filling into crust, tapping pie pan on the counter to get out any bubbles.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until pie is almost set but still slightly jiggly in the center, like a custard before it sets. If crust edge starts to brown, cover the edge with foil.
- Cool completely, then refrigerate at least an hour before slicing. Pie can be refrigerated overnight.