Looking for ways to impress your guests without making a big investment of time or energy? Try these pro tips for the perfect cheese board.
Select diverse tastes, textures, colors and flavors from the Co-op’s bulk, produce, sliced meat and cheese sections –don’t be afraid to be creative and go a little wild.
Choose a variety of cheeses: cow, goat, sheep, soft, aged, blue, etc.
Place accompaniments next to cheeses they pair well with. For example, candied pecans and pears go well with Gjetost goat cheese and pears and olives go nicely with Humboldt Fog.
Fill in the gaps between the cheeses with varied colors and textures – nuts, olives, dried fruit. Add a simple bowl of grapes for a fresh touch.
Fill in the rest of the space with different types of crackers and remember to provide a gluten free variety.
Put out a variety of non-cheese dips, also. Think color and texture. This is an area of the table where going vegan is encouraged. Use a variety of serving bowls and dishes to keep things relaxed and fun. Pile it high, watch it fly!
See below for some good staples that will make a solid board and provide enough diversity for a fun culinary adventure.
- Gjetost – Ski Queen Goat Cheese
- Humboldt Fog Goat Cheese – Cypress Grove
- Marin French Cheese – Petite Breakfast Fresh Brie
- Fromager d’Affinois
- Applegate Organic Uncured Genoa Salami
- Applegate Prosciutto
- Sonoma Creamery Cheese Crisps – Pepper Jack
- Blue Diamond Almond Nut Thins
- Raincoast Crisp Cranberry and Hazelnut
- BriarPatch Deli-made Pesto Spread
- Bitchin’ Sauce