Taco Tuesday meets Meatless Monday in this tasty veggie filling. Keep extra on-hand to stuff in your favorite veggies, or toss with pasta or salad.
- ½ cup unsalted walnuts
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ cup crimini mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 ½ Tbsp Taco Seasoning (found in BriarPatch bulk section)
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups veggie broth
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil
- Optional: ½ cup cooked quinoa
- In two separate bowls, submerge walnuts and lentils in warm water and soak for 30 minutes. Drain walnuts and roughly chop on cutting board or in food processor until they’re a meat-crumble-like texture.
- In medium-sized pan, warm 1 Tbsp cooking oil. Add onions and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Add mushrooms, stir and cook 2 minutes more. Add crumbled walnuts and taco seasoning; cook 1 minute more.
- Drain lentils and add into mixture along with liquid smoke, tomatoes and broth. Mix until combined and bring everything to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cover pot; simmer covered for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove lid from pan and sauté until liquid has cooked off and lentils are soft. Fold in cooked quinoa (if using). Remove from heat and mix in cilantro until well-combined. Serve warm.