Scotch eggs are a super impressive dish that will wow and delight your guests, and are surprisingly not that difficult to make. You’ll also love these for easy-to-grab breakfasts on the go.
- 6 boiled eggs
- 1 lb ground pork, beef or lamb, or a combination
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp. onion flakes to garnish (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place eggs in a pot, cover with 1 inch salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat; as soon as it is boiling, cover pot and remove from heat. Allow to sit for 4 minutes in the hot water, then carefully transfer to a bowl of ice water. Allow to cool, about 5 minutes. Carefully peel the eggs.
- Mix the ground meat with the dried herbs and salt and pepper.
- Flatten a small handful of the meat mixture in an oval shaped patty the size of your hand. Place a boiled egg on top and start to mold the meat around the eggs. Add more meat if required to ensure the boiled egg is completely covered. Press firmly to help the meat adhere to the egg.
- Place on a lined baking tray and brush Scotch egg with oil and sprinkle onion flakes.
- Bake at 350º for 20 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Turn Scotch eggs halfway through baking to ensure even cooking.