What is Gomasio? It’s a Japanese seasoning blend. “Gomasio” means “salt & pepper,” as it’s traditionally made with black sesame seeds and white sea salt.
With this delicious combination of toasty sesame seeds and salty seaweed, you can add a nutritive boost and subtle richness to just about any savory recipe. Switch up your table salt with this spice mix and customize it to your heart’s content.
- 1 cup raw unhulled sesame seeds
- ½ cup dulse flakes
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsp milk thistle seeds
- 1 Tbsp Himalayan pink salt
Optional Additional Ingredients
Use 2 tsp to 1 Tbsp according to your taste:
- Nutritional yeast
- Smoked paprika
- Dried nettle leaf
- Peppercorns – finely ground
- Garlic granules
- Fennel seed
- Dandelion leaf
- Flax seeds
- Chili flakes
- Caraway seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Dried oregano
- Dried holy basil
- Dry toast the sesame seeds by gently warming them in a pan over medium heat, tossing or stirring constantly.
- When the oil begins to release and the seeds start to turn golden, remove the seeds from heat and place in a bowl to cool. Be very careful not to let them burn!
- Next, toss all ingredients together until well mixed.
- Grind in a suribachi or food processor.
- Use in place of table salt to season any dish.