A perfect balance of sweet and tart, this fresh cranberry apple relish is wonderful! Easy to make, this fresh-tasting relish is great on sandwiches, alongside your holiday favs, or to add as topping to coleslaws and salads.
- 2 cups raw cranberries
- 2 peeled/cored Granny Smith apples, cut into thick slices
- 1 large orange
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp Applejack Brandy (optional)
- 20 oz walnuts
- In a skillet over low heat, or on a sheet pan in oven, toast walnuts until lightly browned. Set aside to cool and then chop coarsely.
- Using a veggie peeler, carefully remove strips of orange peel without getting too much of the pith. Once outer orange peel is removed, peel the orange and cut the fruit into chunks.
- Pulse everything in a food processor so that it’s still in small, distinguishable pieces.
- Gently stir in brandy, if using.
- Add sugar gradually. Start with less than a cup and add ¼ cup at a time until it’s the right level of sweetness for you. Let sit at room temperature until sugar dissolves, about 45 minutes.
- Store in fridge until ready to use. Flavors meld as it sits. Before serving, top with a few extra chopped walnuts.