This Chickpea “Chicken” Salad Sandwich is a vegan delight! Loaded with chickpeas, crunchy veggies, tangy cranberries, nuts, & a zippy tahini dressing, you’ll love this nourishing and satisfying dish.
- 3 cups cooked or 2 cans (15 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup celery, diced
- ¼ cup diced red pepper
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
- ½ cup scallions, thinly sliced, white & green parts
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste (about ½ tsp each)
- 6 Tbsp tahini
- 4 Tbsp champagne, white wine or apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp water (about this amount – as needed depending on how thick tahini is)
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- In a small bowl combine tahini, vinegar, water and maple syrup. Add more water, or vinegar if you’re a vinegar lover, to thin out dressing as desired.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to allow flavors to come together.
- In a large bowl, add garbanzo beans and roughly mash with a strong fork or potato masher. Mash at least ¾ of the chickpeas so it binds well.
- Add celery, red pepper, cranberries, nuts, scallions, salt, pepper and dressing, and mix well.
- Serve on your favorite bread as a closed or open-faced sandwich with avocado slices and tomatoes if you have them handy, or in one of these ways below:
• Salad: Serve on a bed of leafy greens.
• Wraps: Great for making tortilla wraps, tucking into pita bread or made into lettuce wraps.
• Crackers: Scoop up with a variety of crackers, pita chips or rye crisps.
• Veggies: Delicious with fresh veggies for scooping. Use red bell pepper, jicama, celery or carrots, cucumber, zucchini, etc