With such an easy recipe, you can enjoy a nice, hearty bowl of “CHOWDAH” anytime.
- 3 6.5-oz cans chopped/minced clams in clam juice
- 8 oz. clam juice
- 6 thick-cut bacon strips, chopped
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 ¼ pounds russet potatoes, diced into ½” cubes (about 3 ½ cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups broth – veggie or chicken
- 1 tsp “Better than Bouillon” – veggie or chicken
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ – ½ tsp salt, to taste
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Oyster crackers for garnish
- Drain clam juice from cans into a measuring cup. Add enough bottled clam juice to equal 2 ½ cups. Set aside.
- In large soup pot, cook bacon over medium heat until slightly brown and fat is rendered. Add in butter, let it melt.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add celery and onion. Sauté 5-7 minutes, until onions are soft. Add potatoes and garlic, sauté 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and cook 1 minute more. Stir in broth, reserved 2 ½ cups clam juice, Better than Bouillon, bay leaves and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered until potatoes are very tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream; bring to simmer to heat through. Remove bay leaves and take pot off heat. Stir in clams. Add more salt/pepper to taste.
- Top individual servings with oyster crackers and chopped parsley.