This is a great recipe that comes together quickly. And, you can vary the ingredients depending on what you have on hand, as long as you use about the same volume.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled/cut in ½” cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1” pieces
- ½ head cauliflower, cut into ½” pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 yellow onion, cut into ½” slices
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 ½ cups mild or medium red salsa (from a jar or homemade)
- ¾ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 9-10 corn tortillas, cut in half
- 1 15-oz can black or pinto bean, rinsed/drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 rimmed sheet pans with parchment paper.
- On one pan, combine bell pepper and onion; on the other put sweet potato and cauliflower. Drizzle olive oil, and then sprinkle cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper evenly over both pans. Add more olive oil if needed.
- Toss veggies on each pan gently to coat in oil/spices and arrange an even layer on each pan. Bake until veggies are tender, about 30-35 minutes, tossing veggies on each pan halfway through baking time.
- Lower oven temp to 350°; grease a 9-inch baking pan.
- Stir ½ cup cilantro into the salsa. Add ½ cup salsa to baking pan and spread out evenly. Add a single layer of tortilla pieces so they completely cover salsa. Top with ½ of beans, ½ of corn, 1/3 of veggies, ½ spinach leaves and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Add second layer of tortilla pieces, pressing down slightly on mixture to make room. Top with ½ remaining salsa, all remaining beans and corn, ½ remaining veggies, the rest of the spinach and half of remaining cheese.
- Add third (final) layer of tortillas, again pressing gently so there’s room for everything. Top with remaining salsa, veggies and cheese. Cover with parchment paper or aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove parchment/foil and bake 10 more minutes, or until casserole is heated through.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cilantro on top before serving with lime wedges on the side.