This sensational combo makes the most of this seasonal stone fruit, by searing and pairing it with spicy arugula, halloumi cheese and pine nuts. A light vinaigrette ties it all together. Serve it as an appetizer or add rotisserie chicken for a quick and delicious meal.
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 Tbsp chopped slivered basil leaves
- 4-8 ripe apricots, depending on size
- 1 8.8-oz package halloumi cheese
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Whisk together the vinegars, 3 Tbsp olive oil and salt/pepper. Set it aside.
- Heat a nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Gently toast pine nuts until they have a little color, and you can smell them cooking. Remove from heat onto a plate to cool.
- Cut apricots in half, remove pits. Brush cut sides with some of the remaining olive oil. Using the same nonstick sauté pan, cook for about 2 minutes on the cut side, until seared but intact. Remove from heat.
- Slice Halloumi block into 8 slices (each about 1 oz). Brush slices with olive oil on both sides. Heat the nonstick pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Working in batches to give the cheese space, cook slices 3 minutes on each side until crisp and browned. Remove from pan until ready to assemble salad.
- Toss together arugula, basil, dressing and half the apricots with dressing. Arrange remaining apricots, halloumi and pine nuts over the top and serve.