Try this Salvadoran slaw with your pupusas—a classic combo—or with fish tacos, or as a summer side salad with grilled proteins. It’s light and refreshing, has some heat and a nice change of pace over the standard mayo-based slaw.
- ½ head green cabbage, using a mandolin or in thin strips with a knife
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 serrano pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, onion, carrot, and serrano, if using.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, salt and sugar a cook over medium heat, stirring just until salt and sugar are just dissolved.
- Pour brine over vegetables and toss to combine. Let sit in refrigerator for at least one hour, but flavors will really meld if you let it sit for up to one week.