Here’s the perfect opportunity to try buffalo, which is very lean and lighter tasting than beef. This casserole is comforting, yummy and perfectly rib stickin’.
- 1 lb ground buffalo/lean ground beef (vegan sub tempeh or beans)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 can (10.75 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup (vegan sub tomatobased soup)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or vegan cheese)
- 1 pkg (16 oz) frozen tater tots
- ½ white onion, diced
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
- Optional add-ins: 1 pkg frozen green beans, 1 pkg frozen corn, fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook ground buffalo until completely browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Season with garlic powder, salt and fresh-ground pepper. Add onions, green beans and corn if using.
- Stir soup into ground buffalo and pour into 9”x13” baking dish. Layer tater tots evenly over mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake until tater tots are golden brown and hot, 30 – 45 minutes. Top with chopped chives and serve.