Chicken salad is your best friend on hot summer nights when you don’t want to turn the oven on or don’t have time because, well, you’ve got that book and glass of wine to attend to.
Grab a rotisserie chicken to make it even easier to create endless possibilities for lunches or dinner (or breakfast, why not?). They can be super simple and satisfying or get a little fancier and doll it up with your favorite flavors and textures for a tasty treat. Don’t forget to freeze the chicken carcass for stock later on!
Our BriarPatch Deli uses Mary’s Chicken. Mary’s chickens are cooled with a state-of-the-art “Air Chill” system. Air Chill saves 30,000 gallons of water every day and keeps in the real chicken flavor and juices, meaning a better tasting chicken for all of your recipes!
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat cubed or shredded, your choice (about 3 cups), skin discarded
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp and 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Splash or two of your favorite hot sauce
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients together. Taste and add more of whatever you like – a little at a time. This is a very forgiving recipe.
Twists on the Traditional
Feel free to stop there, and serve on your favorite sandwich bread – or add some additions to the recipe itself and the vehicles you might serve it in for extra omg.
Spicy – ½ jalapeño or Serrano, seeded and diced fine
Mediterranean – ¼ cup chopped olives and ¼ cup chopped roasted peppers
Herbs – ¼ cup fresh herbs, any combination of basil, rosemary, thyme, parsley or sage
-In the hollow of an avocado
– Lavash, pita or your favorite wrap, with chopped tomatoes scallions, zaatar and tahini
– In a scooped-out summer tomato with chives
– in a lettuce wrap with thinly sliced radishes (and bacon!)